Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Journey of Art

So things have happened to my art in the last couple years and even though it's MY art I just seem powerless to stop it. This is a photo of my very first canvas ever, last I knew it hangs in the bedroom of one of my pastors daughters. Could have moved on from there I suppose, who knows. As long as someone is loving it. 
If anyone knows anything about me and my art they know that describing my art as "cute" is as good as an insult....or at least it was. Sigh. Something has happened and I cannot seem to produce things that don't scream cute. 

This is a piece I did earlier in the year, what the heck is that???? Yep, it's cute. The birds are cute, the flowers are cute, the hearts are cute, just cute threw up all over this piece and I was powerless to stop it. Furthermore, it sold!!

As I looked back over my art blog I find pieces that I've done over the years that I just love, love, love! 
This is one of my most favorite pieces I've ever created. I put it in the frame top of a trinket box that I altered. It ultimately ended up going home with a couple at one of the art fairs I did several years ago. I had such joy in this sale because the couple spent a considerable time in my booth and chose carefully and deliberately what the wanted to take home with them. This isn't cute. This is charming, and touching and beautiful and lovely, anything but cute. 

So what happened?? Well, I got healthy, mentally and physically healthy. At least that's what I'm going with. I can remember being in therapy shortly after my mom died and complaining to him about how I hated where my art was going. Years previous when I'd been in therapy I turned out pieces like this.
A piece that was so full of emotion, a piece that truly spoke of my soul and the turmoil I was in at the time. My art had feeling and gave me such release that I HAD to spend time in my studio or I would internally combust if I didn't get it out. 

Now, there is no turmoil, only joy, and contentment. No deep brooding emotion and pain that needs to be conveyed and spewed out onto canvas so I don't choke on it. I've discovered that joy makes art that looks like this. 
 When I showed my therapist recent pieces I had done, he was shocked to see how my art had progressed. Then, as I expressed my disgust and frustration with it, he said something that struck me, and I at first rejected his idea, but as I processed it more in the days after I think he may be right (that's why I pay him the big bucks right?), he said "I think your art may be more you than you think it is".

So I guess what I'm saying in all of this is, I'm embracing cute, if cute means that I am in a place of health and joy then I'll take it. So go ahead, call it cute, I'm sure it'll grow on me :)


1 comment:

  1. Your art is spectacular to me. I so love my pieces. I'm grateful you allow me to display your art in my home. Keep doing what God leads you to create

    ReplyDelete