Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Getting Older

I don't know about you but as I've aged I find that I things I used to enjoy I just can't anymore.

Roller coaster rides when I was younger, man, the bigger and faster they went the better. Upside down, twists and turns, unrealistic speeds, bring em on!! Now I find the Carousel goes just fast enough and high enough for me. Okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea. Now if one of my kids or my husband should manage to get me into line for a roller coaster by the time I actually get to the front of it, my legs are like jell-o, I'm sweating and I usually have to pee. I can do it, but it most certainly isn't enjoyable.

Same thing goes for movies, I can remember going to see one of the Friday the 13th movies with a girlfriend and laughing through the whole thing. I loved that kind of stuff. Well, today my youngest daughter and I put on a scary movie called "Chain Letter". I barely got through the opening credits without having to put my hand in front of my face and turn away so I didn't see something. 20 minutes into it, I made her turn it off. I just can't do scary movies anymore.

You would think as you get older and can better rationalize what is real and what is not and what is safe and what is not that you'd be able to do more, or have less fear about things, however, it seems to be working in reverse. Maybe it's the plight of of my own mortality and wanting to fill my life with more meaningful things......nah!!

1 comment: